Andy is the managing partner and is a member of Laner Muchin’s Executive Committee. He joined the Firm as an associate in 1996. Andy spends a majority of his time negotiating collective bargaining agreements, representing clients in arbitrations, responding to union grievances and in matters before the National Labor Relations Board in almost every industry and for clients of all sizes.
In addition, Andy advises clients on how to navigate state, local and federal employment laws. He helps clients develop strategies on resolving complex employee relations issues in matters such as reasonable accommodations under the nation’s various disability laws, compliance with the nation’s various sick day and leave laws and hiring strategies in light of the many laws governing what information an employer may consider.
Andy also helps draft executive employment agreements, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, severance agreements, arbitration and other employment-related agreements.
Andy is a prolific author of employment-related articles and sections in treatises and has co-authored many articles for the Employment Law Update. He was most recently selected for recognition in The Best Lawyers in America 2024 for Labor Law – Management and honored by The American Lawyer’s 2022 Midwest Trailblazers list. He has been named in Illinois Super Lawyers by Chicago Magazine each year from 2010 to 2022, a recognition awarded to only five percent of the lawyers in the state of Illinois. In 2021, he was named a Notable Gen X Leader in Law by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America 2024 for Employment Law - Management
- Midwest Trailblazer 2022, The American Lawyer
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2010-2022
- Notable Gen X Leader in Law 2021, Crain's Chicago Business
- Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Andy handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Negotiating collective bargaining agreements, responding to grievances, defending against unfair labor practice charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
Defending employers in arbitrations of various disputes in both the union and non-union setting.
Defending employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including investigations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Providing employment-related advice to clients involved in acquiring other entities, including negotiating and preparing employment contracts for incoming executives, advising on non-compete issues, reviewing purchase documents to ensure employment-related provisions to adequately protect clients' investment and business goals, ensuring that due diligence on employment-related issues is sufficiently thorough, among other related services.
Providing ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of clients, including those in the private equity, investment management, professional services, hospitality (restaurants and hotels), manufacturing and distribution and other industries. Such advice includes, but is not limited to, advising clients on terminations/workouts of high-level executive departures, prevention of unfair competition, and regulatory compliance.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
News, Events, and Publications
- Fifteen Laner Muchin Attorneys Listed Amongst Leaders in Their Field by The Best Lawyers in America 202408.17.2023
- Andrew Goldberg Analyzes Enforceability of Employer Non-Compete Agreements in Chicago Lawyer Magazine08.25.2022
- Andrew Goldberg Discusses Post-Pandemic Talent Retention and Firm Culture with Chicago Lawyer Magazine08.01.2022
- Andrew Goldberg and Christina Wernick Share Lessons for Employers from Recent 7th Circuit Ruling on Labor Violations in Law36008.18.2021
- Crain’s Chicago Business Interviews Andy Goldberg on Factors Affecting Employer’s Decisions on Minimum Wage07.27.2021
- Laner Muchin Managing Partner Andrew Goldberg to Address Labor and Employment Law Updates and Best Practices for Employers in 2021 at the President's Resource Organization Roundtable Webinar06.15.2021
- Laner Muchin Partner Andrew Goldberg Interviewed on ABC7Chicago Regarding COVID-19 Forms, Waivers for Consumers to Sign Before EntryABC7Chicago , 07.09.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner Andrew Goldberg Featured on a Podcast Discussing the Payment Protection Plan (PPP)04.13.2020
- Crain's Chicago , 11.19.2018
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore & Chad DeGroot, 08.11.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, 07.17.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, 05.28.2020
- David A. Moore, Andrew S. Goldberg, Chad R. DeGroot, 04.13.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore, Antonio Caldarone, Heather Becker & Chad DeGroot, 04.02.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore & Chad DeGroot, 03.30.2020
- Heather Becker, Antonio Caldarone, Wesley Covert, Andrew Goldberg, William Wake, Darin Williams, 03.27.2020
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Labor Market/Site Surveys
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Labor Management Relations
University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1996, Order of the Coif
Illinois State University, B.S. Business Administration, B.S. Mass Communications-Broadcasting, 1993, Red Tassel Mortar Board Member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado,
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Not sworn)