Rob joined Laner Muchin in 1995 and has been a partner since 2003. His practice has been concentrated in defending employers in employment disputes and proceedings throughout the country, counseling employers on their day-to-day labor and employment issues, training management on a host of labor and employment topics, drafting and negotiating employment and non-competition agreements, drafting employee handbooks and corporate policy manuals, as well as handling collective bargaining negotiations, arbitrations, and a variety of other labor and employment matters on behalf of employers.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Class of 2020
- Managing Editor of the University of Wisconsin Law Review and served on the Moot Court Board
- Rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available given by other attorneys regarding legal ability and ethical standards
- Selected as “Leading Lawyer” as rated by the nation’s top lawyers in multiple years
- Selected as Illinois Super Lawyer in multiple years
- In 2008, was named one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch” by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer
- American Bar Association, Equal Employment Opportunity Section
- Illinois Restaurant Association, Advisory Council Member
- Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association Member
- HRMAC Member
- Played Number 1 singles and doubles on the Cornell Varsity Tennis Team from 1987-1991. He was captain of the team in his junior and senior years, and he earned ALL-IVY honors in his sophomore and senior years
- Selected for Cornell's Quill and Dagger Senior Honor Society
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Rob handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Defends employers in employment disputes and proceedings in courts and before agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Illinois Department of Human Rights, Illinois Human Rights Commission, U.S. Department of Labor, Illinois Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board.
Defends employers in discharge, contract interpretation and interest arbitration matters before arbitrators.
Handles collective bargaining negotiations on behalf of employers.
Counsels employers on their day-to-day labor and employment and human resource issues such as terminations, disciplinary issues, leaves of absence, policy issues, wage and hour issues, and many other issues related to compliance and minimizing the risk of employment claims.
Drafts, reviews and renders advice on Employee Handbooks and other corporate policy manuals, as well as employment and non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements.
Conducts training sessions for management and employees on a variety of labor and employment topics including by way of example, non-discrimination and anti-harassment, the Family Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Effective Hiring, Discipline and Termination Procedures, the Importance of Effective Documentation, Wage and Hour Practices and Union Avoidance.
Advises employers in the acquisition setting as it relates to the labor and employment components of the acquisition.
News, Events, and Publications
- Rob Bernstein to Host Attorney Roundtable at the 2021 Coalition of Franchisee Association’s Legal Symposium11.05.2021
- Rob Bernstein Presents Updates on Workplace Vaccine Mandates and Guest Policy Considerations for Restaurants at Illinois Restaurant Association Webinar11.02.2021
- Robert Bernstein Shares Insights on Labor and Employment Law Developments and COVID-19 at the NISHRM Annual Employment Law Update09.17.2021
- Laner Muchin Partners Rob Bernstein, Heather Becker and Antonio Caldarone to Address Case Law Updates and COVID-19 Issues at the 2021 IICLE Employment Law Institute Annual Conference04.22.2021
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Elected as a Fellow of the College of Labor & Employment Lawyers in the Class of 202006.24.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented “A Deep Dive into the Family First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)” to the Coalition of Franchisee Associations05.01.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented Webinar on “An Overview of the New Overtime Regulations,” For the Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association12.12.2019
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented on New Illinois Employment Legislation Impacting the Restaurant Industry for the Illinois Restaurant Association10.30.2019
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented an Update on New Illinois Employment Laws for the Hotel Human Resources Association of Chicago10.09.2019
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented an Employment Law Update for the Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association09.25.2019
- Rob Bernstein Co-Presented with Kathryn Hartrick of Hartrick Employment Law, “The Impact of New Marijuana Legislation on Illinois Employment Law,” to the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education09.20.2019
- Rob Bernstein Presented, “Navigating New/Recent Employment Laws," to the Illinois Food Retailers Association09.17.2019
- Rob Bernstein Presented on Key Labor and Employment-Related Issues for the Illinois Hotel Lodging Association05.23.2019
- Rob Bernstein Presented on Key Labor and Employment-Related Issues for the Illinois Hotel Lodging Association05.09.2019
- Rob Bernstein Presented on Key Labor and Employment-Related Issues at the Illinois Restaurant Association05.03.2019
- Robert Bernstein Presented on Policies and Practices to Reduce the Risk of EEOC Claims at the MRA’s Annual Employment Law Conference02.15.2019
- Laner Muchin Attorneys Robert Bernstein, Antonio Caldarone and Eileen Momblanco Presented at the IICLE Employment Law Institute01.25.2019
- Laner Muchin Partner Rob Bernstein Presented on Key Labor and Employment-Related Issues to the Illinois Restaurant Association09.12.2018
- Rob Bernstein, 11.24.2020
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1995
Cornell School of Industrial and Labor Relations, B.S., 1991
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals