Dave joined Laner Muchin in 2008 and has been a partner at the Firm since 2013. He regularly litigates substantial-exposure employment litigation matters, including wage and hour class actions as well as discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims.
He also represents and counsels employers in labor relations, including union avoidance strategies, responding to union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations, and labor board hearings.
He also provides, on a nearly daily basis, compliance-related and strategic advice on a broad range of employment issues.
Dave is also active in the Chicago chapter of the Society of Human Resources Managers (SHRM), including hosting monthly roundtables of human resources professionals, serving on Chicago's SHRM's legislative committee and speaking regularly at both national SHRM and Chicago SHRM conferences and legal updates.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS, Speaking Engagements AND PUBLICATIONS
- Panelist, "Navigating the Coronavirus: Best Practices for Employers," ChicagoSHRM Webinar, March 2020
- Author, "A New Year Brings New and Amended Laws in Illinois, ChicagoSHRM Blog, December 2019
- Panelist, "Phishing and Hacking in the HR Pond," National Aging Services Risk Management (NASRM), October 2019
- Panelist, "Time Off Laws: Trends and Legal Updates on Sick Leave, FMLA and the ADA," Fox Valley Payroll Association, July 2019
- Author, “The Supreme Court Says Class Action Waivers Are Enforceable, But Are Arbitration Agreements Right For Your Organization?" ChicagoSHRM, June 2018
- Member, American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Panelist, National Society of Human Resource Manager's 2018 Annual Conference and Exposition; FLSA But Comp. 2018: Navigating Your Organization Through Wage & Hour Minefield, June 2018
- Quoted, "Why HR needs a thoughtful remote work policy," by Pamela DeLoatch, published on HRDive.com, June 2018
- Panelist, The Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Legal Forum: Time Off, Immigration, Biometrics and More, April 2018
- Co-Author, The Seventh Circuit Says The ADA Is Not A Medical Leave Statute: Should Employers Re-Think Their Lave Polices and Practices? ChicagoSHRM Legal Update, December 2017
- Panelist, The Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Legal Forum: Employee Health - Disabilities; Wellness Programs; and Opioids and Drugs at Work, September 2017
- Quoted, “Mandatory flu shots are a risky proposition,” by Pamela DeLoatch, published on HRDive.com, December 2017
- Co-Author, Is Your Company Prepared for the New Cook County and City of Chicago Sick Leave Ordinances? ChicagoSHRM Legal Update, June 2017
- Panelist, The Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Legal Forum: Protect Your Organization in 2017 and Beyond, April 2017
- Panelist, The Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Full-Day Conference: Living In A World of Constant Change, March 2017
- Co-Author, President Trump’s Department of Labor: Changes Are Coming, But When And Where? ChicagoSHRM Legal Update, March 2017
- Panelist, The Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Legal Forum: Protect Your Organization in 2016 and Beyond Legislative Committee, September 2016
- Panelist at the Chicago Society of Human Resources Managers’ Legal Forum: Protect Your Organization in 2015 and Beyond Legislative Committee, September 2015
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Dave handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Defending employers in class action wage and hour matters as well as representing employers undergoing regulatory audits regarding their wage and hour practices.
Defending employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Representing employers in labor board proceedings, including unfair labor practice, bargaining unit clarification, and similar proceedings.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including investigations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Providing ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of public and private clients, including those in the banking and financial, merchandising and retail, hospitality and restaurant, manufacturing and distribution, logistics, educational and other industries, as well as not-for-profits, and government entities, including, but not limited to, advising clients on terminations/severances, leave and disability issues, and regulatory compliance, and as drafting employment policies and procedures and employment contracts.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
News, Events, and Publications
- Laner Muchin Partner David A. Moore Presented with Choose Chicago and Chicago SHRM on, “Considerations, Preparations, Messaging & Employment Law Applications as We Prepare to Return Full-Time or Part-Time to the Workspace”09.02.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner David A. Moore Presented With Chicago SHRM’s Legislative Committee to HR Professionals Regarding Employees Return to Work During the COVID-19 Pandemic08.24.2020
- ChicagoSHRM Blog, 12.19.2019
- Violet Clark & David Moore Presented, “Phishing and Hacking in the HR Pond” and “Managing the Complexities of Workplace Dynamics” for National Aging Services Risk Management (NASRM)10.04.2019
- Laner Muchin Attorney David A. Moore Presented on “Time off Laws: Trends and Legal Updates on Sick Leave, FMLA and the ADA,” to the Fox Valley Payroll Association07.19.2018
- The Supreme Court Says Class Action Waivers Are Enforceable, But Are Arbitration Agreements Right For Your Organization?ChicagoSHRM Blog, 06.25.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney David A. Moore Featured at the 2018 SHRM Legal Forum Discussing “Time Off Laws”04.11.2018
- David Moore and Chad DeGroot, 03.15.2021
- David Moore, Peter Gillespie, and Chad DeGroot, 12.31.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore & Chad DeGroot, 08.11.2020
- David A. Moore, Andrew S. Goldberg, Chad R. DeGroot, 04.13.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore, Antonio Caldarone, Heather Becker & Chad DeGroot, 04.02.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore & Chad DeGroot, 03.30.2020
- David Moore and Peter Gillespie, 06.05.2019
- David Moore , 06.29.2018
- David Moore, 04.19.2016
- Fifth Circuit Holds That Meal Breaks May Be Compensable If Employer-Mandated Transition Time Significantly Eats Into Employees' Meal TimeDavid Moore, 10.05.2015
- David Moore, 08.24.2015
- David Moore, 08.05.2015
- David Moore, 07.01.2015
- Illinois Appellate Court Limits Employer's Discretion To Award Or Deny Bonuses Under Written Bonus PlanDavid Moore, 03.31.2015
- NLRB Holds That Confidentiality Agreement Barring Employees From Discussing Human Resources-Related Information is UnlawfulDavid Moore, 03.31.2015
- Employers Must Consult Both State And Federal Law To Ensure Their Meal And Rest Period Practices Are Legally CompliantDavid Moore, 02.17.2015
- Antonio Caldarone and David Moore, 02.06.2015
- Antonio Caldarone, Wesley Covert, and David Moore, 01.20.2015
- Antonio Caldarone, Wesley Covert, and David Moore, 01.20.2015
- Counseling and Transactional
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law – Bloomington, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Indiana Law Journal
- Indiana State University, B.S., Sociology, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Central Districts of Illinois