Andy joined Laner Muchin in 1996 as an associate and has been a partner at the Firm since 2002. Andy advises clients on how to navigate state, local and federal employment laws. He helps clients develop strategies on resolving complex employee relations issues in matters such as reasonable accommodations under the nation’s various disability laws, compliance with the nation’s various sick day and leave laws and hiring strategies in light of the many laws governing what information an employer may consider.
Andy also helps draft executive employment agreements, non-compete and confidentiality agreements, severance agreements, arbitration and other employment-related agreements. He also negotiates collective bargaining agreements, responds to grievances and defends against unfair labor practice charges. The Law Bulletin Publishing Company selected Andy as one of Illinois’ Top 40 Attorneys Under the age of 40 in 2009, citing his accomplishments as an attorney and, in particular, his commitment to client service. Andy is a prolific author of employment-related articles and sections in treatises.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Selected, Top 40 Under 40 attorneys in Illinois, 2009, Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- 2006 through 2008 and 2010 through and including 2018, Chicago Magazine Super Lawyer in the area of Labor and Employment law.
- National Registry of Who's Who in 2000 for Legal Services.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-author of the Employee Benefits and Collective Bargaining Chapter supplement for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and Employee Benefits Law Manual and of the State Laws Chapter of Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Labor Law Manual.
- Contributing editor to the Developing Labor Law, published by The ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and Bloomberg BNA limited.
- Contributing editor to The Family and Medical Leave Act treatise and the Fair Labor Standards Act treatise, each published by The ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and Bloomberg BNA limited.
- Co-author of several topics of importance in the labor and employment law arena published in the annual Employment Law Update (Wolters Kluwer Law & Business Publications) each year since 2009. Such articles include: Capturing the Benefits and Avoiding the Dangers to Employers of Managing in an Electronic Age; Highlights and Commentary on the Revisions to the Family and Medical Leave Act; Restricted Credit: How do Employers Screen Candidates Now that States are Moving to Ban Credit Checks on Job Applicants; and Hidden Perils: Obscure Employment Laws, among other articles.
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Andy handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Negotiating collective bargaining agreements, responding to grievances, defending against unfair labor practice charges filed with the National Labor Relations Board.
Defending employers in arbitrations of various disputes in both the union and non-union setting.
Defending employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including investigations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Providing employment-related advice to clients involved in acquiring other entities, including negotiating and preparing employment contracts for incoming executives, advising on non-compete issues, reviewing purchase documents to ensure employment-related provisions to adequately protect clients' investment and business goals, ensuring that due diligence on employment-related issues is sufficiently thorough, among other related services.
Providing ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of clients, including those in the private equity, investment management, professional services, hospitality (restaurants and hotels), manufacturing and distribution and other industries. Such advice includes, but is not limited to, advising clients on terminations/workouts of high-level executive departures, prevention of unfair competition, and regulatory compliance.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Labor Market/Site Surveys
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Labor Management Relations
University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1996, Order of the Coif
Illinois State University, B.S. Business Administration, B.S. Mass Communications-Broadcasting, 1993, Red Tassel Mortar Board Member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado,
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Not sworn)