Peter represents and counsels management on a wide array of employment law-related issues, including workplace safety and health, wage and hour laws, prevailing wage issues, covenants not to compete, discrimination and harassment, wrongful discharge, whistleblower claims, class actions, hiring, discipline, promotion and dismissal decision-making, workplace privacy, and statutory compliance. He provides employers with strategic advice to help meet their objectives while reducing potential litigation risks.
Peter handles litigation in both federal and state courts as well as claims pending with state and federal administrative agencies including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, and the Illinois Department of Labor.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Chick Evans Scholar
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Membership and Diversity Committee Chair, American Bar Association Section of Science and Technology Law
- Member of the Editorial Board of the SciTech Lawyer, a publication of the Section of Science and Technology Law
- Authored the Eighth Edition of the "Illinois Human Resources Manual," which is published by the American Chamber of Commerce Resources
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Pete handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Defending employers from claims asserted by state and federal agencies including the EEOC, OSHA, and USDOL.
Defending employers in breach of executive employment contract cases.
Defending employers in class action wage and hour matters as well as representing employers undergoing regulatory audits regarding their wage and hour practices.
Defending employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Counseling and advising on prevailing wage issues, and defending employers in prevailing wage claim disputes.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including workplace safety, leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
News, Events, and Publications
- Laner Muchin Attorney Peter Gillespie Authors Chapter on, “What Employers Need to Know about the Internet of Things”03.22.2019
- Legalization and OSHA Anti-Retaliation Rules Post-Accident Drug Testing Considerations for EmployersTheSciTechLawyer, Spring 2017, 03.05.2017
- Pete Gillespie , 03.26.2019
- Pete Gillespie , 03.25.2019
- Pete Gillespie , 02.25.2019
- Pete Gillespie, 12.20.2018
- Pete Gillespie, 11.01.2018
- Peter Gillespie, 09.27.2018
- Peter Gillespie, 09.27.2018
- OSHA’s July 1, 2018 Electronic Injury and Illness Data Filing Deadline May Impact Public Sector Employers In IllinoisPeter Gillespie, 05.23.2018
- Peter Gillespie, 03.21.2018
- Recent Court Decision Finds That OSHA Can Search Employer Histories As Far Back As Necessary To Issue Citations For Repeat ViolationsPeter Gillespie, 02.23.2018
- Peter Gillespie, 12.28.2017
- Update Alert: OSHA's Deadline For Submitting 2016 Injury And Illness Data Electronically Extended To December 15, 2017Pete Gillespie, 11.27.2017
- OSHA's December 1, 2017 Deadline For Submitting 2016 Injury And Illness Reports Electronically Is Upon UsPete Gillespie, 11.22.2017
- Peter Gillespie, 11.13.2017
- Peter Gillespie, 09.13.2017
- Peter Gillespie, 08.22.2017
- Peter Gillespie, 06.23.2017
- OSHA Reasserts Its Position That Employers Have A Continuing Duty to Maintain Accurate Injury and Illness RecordsPeter Gillespie, 01.30.2017
- Peter Gillespie, 12.19.2016
- Peter Gillespie, 11.29.2016
- Peter Gillespie, 09.30.2016
- Peter Gillespie, 06.03.2016
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Georgetown University Law Center J.D., 1997
Northwestern University, B.A., Economics and German Studies, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado