Jeremy joined Laner Muchin in 2006 as an associate and has been a partner at the Firm since 2014. He regularly counsels and defends employers with regard to numerous state and federal labor and employment laws, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Illinois Human Rights Act.
Jeremy also represents unionized employers in collective bargaining, grievance administration, arbitration and mediation. In addition, Jeremy drafts and reviews employment contracts, employee handbooks and personnel policies, and trains management on discrimination and harassment matters.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Illinois Rising Star in Labor and Employment (2012 and 2013)
- Leading Lawyers: Emerging Lawyer for Labor and Employment (2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Contributing writer: BNA Age Discrimination Treatise (2016, 2017)
- Contributing writer: EPLI Subcommittee of ERR Committee Mid-Winter Meeting Papers (2013-2016)
- Panelist Speaker: ERR Mid-Winter Committee Meeting for EPLI Subcommittee of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the ABA Labor and Employment Section (2016)
- Author, A Beginner’s Guide to the MMSEA, ERR Committee News (Summer 2013)
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Jeremy handles on behalf of clients:
Counseling employers on numerous federal, state and local labor and employment laws.
Defending employers in agency investigations before the EEOC, USDOL and numerous other federal, state and local government investigatory agencies.
Representing employers in numerous types of workplace litigation in state and federal court.
Representing employers as chief negotiator in collective bargaining.
Representing employers in labor arbitration and administrative hearings.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including investigations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Providing employment-related advice to clients involved in acquiring other entities, including negotiating and preparing employment contracts, advising on non-compete issues, and ensuring that due diligence on employment-related issues is sufficiently thorough, among other related services.
Providing ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of clients, including those in food and industrial manufacturing, health care, restaurant and hospitality, distribution, retail and grocery, and other industries. Such advice includes, but is not limited to, advising clients on terminations, prevention of unfair competition, and regulatory compliance.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
News, Events, and Publications
- Jeremy Edelson, 12.12.2017
- Jeremy Edelson, 08.22.2017
- New Minimum Wage And Sick Leave Requirements Become Effective July 1 For Employers In Chicago And Cook County, IllinoisJeremy Edelson, 06.23.2017
- Union Election Ordered After NLRB's Joint-Employer Ruling Regarding Construction Company And The Temporary Staffing Agency Which Provided Temporary WorkersJeremy Edelson, 09.30.2016
- Jeremy Edelson, 09.12.2016
- Jeremy Edelson, 07.14.2016
- Department Of Labor Greatly Expands The Scope Of Employer Reporting Obligations Related To Union Organizing CampaignsJeremy Edelson, 04.20.2016
- EEOC Files Lawsuits Alleging Sexual Orientation Discrimination Claims Against Private Sector EmployersJeremy Edelson, 03.29.2016
- Employer Facing Potential Liability For Allegedly Reducing Worker Hours To Avoid Affordable Care Act PenaltiesJeremy Edelson, 03.03.2016
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science, 2003
Chicago-Kent College of Law: Dean’s List, Editor for Illinois Public Labor Relations Report
University of Michigan: Academic All Big Ten, Michigan Varsity Tennis Team, University Honors, Michigan Scholar Athlete
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois