The entirety of Brian’s legal practice has concentrated on representing management in labor and employment matters.
He regularly services clients on a wide range of employment/labor matters including, but not limited to: individual, class and collective wage and hour cases; prevailing wage issues, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims; leaves of absence; domestic violence issues impacting the workplace; disability accommodation; whistleblower claims; unfair competition matters; public and private sector arbitration; employment counseling; drafting and reviewing employment policies, employment agreements, separation agreements, settlement agreements, restrictive covenants, and consulting agreements; and preparing severance plans and related exit program documents for reorganizations.
Prior to joining Laner Muchin, Brian was in the Air Force and honorably retired as a Master Sergeant (E-7) from the 41st Aerial Port, 403rd Reserve Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi.
He served as the NCOIC (Non Commissioned Officer In Charge) of Special Handling, which ensured that dangerous cargo (i.e., bombs, small-arms ammunition, radioactive material, flammables, corrosives and miscellaneous material such as highly magnetized material that could affect airplane instruments) was properly prepared/packaged and loaded for air transportation aboard military aircraft in accordance with federal regulations (CFR 49) for domestic shipments and international regulations (IATA) for the foreign shipment of such dangerous goods. Brian was also stationed at the former Rhein-Main Air Base in Frankfurt, Germany for two years and was deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Southern Watch.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
Served in the U.S. Air Force, retired from the 403rd Reserve Wing, Master Sergeant
Member, Cook County Bar Association
Author, “Title VII employment claim carried more punch than standard bias charge,” Chicago Law Bulletin, February 14, 2018
Author, “Causation question, other factors tip 7th Circuit against would-be firefighter,” Chicago Law Bulletin, May 31, 2018
Author, “Military Service and the Law,” 2018 Illinois Institute for Continued Legal Education (“IICLE”) Edition – Chapter 2 “Labor and Employment”
- Author, “Time appears to be running out in class-action tolling requirements,” Chicago Law Bulletin, July 12, 2018
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Brian handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Drafting and enforcing non-competition agreements.
Defending employers in individual and class action wage and hour matters.
Representing employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases in administrative and court settings.
Counseling and advising on prevailing wage issues, and defends employers in prevailing wage claim disputes.
Defending employers in unfair labor practice proceedings.
Representing employers in labor grievances.
Representing public employers in interest arbitration hearings.
Conducting due diligence employment audits for clients acquiring other entities.
Conducting investigations of alleged discrimination, harassment, retaliation, contract violation and other labor and employment matters.
Drafting opinion letters relating to contract interpretation.
Providing advice to employers in various private and public settings, including, but not limited to, those in the personnel management, property management, educational, public transportation, logistics, healthcare, quick food service, construction, packaging, and grocery industries.
Providing management and staff-focused training on employment matters, including, but not limited to, FMLA, disability/pregnancy accommodation, discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and the use of background check information.
News, Events, and Publications
- Partners Peter Gillespie and Brian Jackson Discuss Vaccination Policies and Requirements, Employment Law Updates and Anticipated Litigation Trends at Laner Muchin's Annual Employment Law Virtual Conference on November 4, 2021.10.08.2021
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin , 02.04.2019
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 11.07.2018
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 10.02.2018
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 08.29.2018
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 07.12.2018
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 02.14.2018
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Southern University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2005
Southern University and A&M, B.A., Political Science, 1997
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit