Joe has been engaged in the practice of labor and employment law for over thirty years with Laner Muchin where he is a partner, Executive Committee member and President of the Firm. Joe's practice covers a broad range of employment law and traditional labor matters. He also has published and lectured extensively on countless labor employment topics and is a leading authority on Employment Practices Liability Insurance. Joe is a certified mediator with certification from the DePaul College of Law Center for Dispute Resolution in Chicago.
Joe is a true generalist. His practice ranges from coast to coast in virtually every industry grouping. Joe typically works hand-in-hand with clients on the full range of their labor and employment issues.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- AV peer rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America 2008-2018
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Chicago Lawyer of the Year Employment Law-Litigation
- Named one of Illinois’ “Super Lawyers” in labor and employment law from 2005 through 2017
- Best Lawyers 2016 Lawyer of the Year; Best Lawyers 2016 Employment Law–Management
- Selected as one of the world’s preeminent management labor and employment attorneys in a peer review survey conducted by Who’s Who Legal
- Regular recognition in Chambers and Partners Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers as: “a top notch guy and a classy litigator”; “accessible, prompt and tenacious”; and “a terrific problem solver”
- Rufus Choate Scholar, Dartmouth College
- Member of the Barristers
- Member of the Dartmouth Lawyers Association and a former member of the Daniel Webster
- Legal Society at Dartmouth College
- Member of the Chicago Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association Labor Law Section and Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) Subcommittee
- Member of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and the American Employment Law Council
- Editor Southwestern Law Journal
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Joe handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Joe regularly defends employers in discrimination and harassment cases throughout Illinois and in other jurisdictions around the country.
Joe has tried over 100 arbitration cases on behalf of employers from coast-to-coast.
Joe has negotiated countless union contracts, involving virtually every major U.S. union on behalf of employers nationwide.
Joe has successfully mediated numerous cases on behalf of employers including claims of harassment, discrimination, restrictive covenants, wage and hour claims, breaches of employment agreements and many others.
Joe has regularly appeared on behalf of employees before the National Labor Relations Board in representation and unfair labor practice cases.
News & Published Articles
- Crain's Chicago Business, 12.18.2017
- Best Laywers, 01.09.2016
- Chicago Lawyer, 04.13.2015
- Chicago Lawyer, 04.09.2013
- The Anti-Cruelty Society, 03.09.2013
- Joseph Yastrow, 07.14.2016
- Counseling and Transactional
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Southern Methodist University, J.D.
Dartmouth College, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois