Violet serves as a trusted advisor and dependable legal counsel to employers throughout the country. Since joining Laner Muchin in 1988, she has helped countless companies achieve growth while carefully managing risk within their workforces. Violet counsels employers, boards of directors and special committees on their most important human resources initiatives including matters involving workplace culture, diversity, equity and inclusion and a wide range of employment-related issues concerning employees at all levels of the organization.
With years of experience collaborating with CEOs in boardroom conversations and designing strategies to effectively meet human resource management goals, Violet understands the complete picture regarding the economics of her clients’ businesses. Her knowledge of labor and employment liability matters and collective bargaining units in combination with her commitment to understanding businesses on a personal level allows her to efficiently guide company leadership on their internal policies and governance.
When workplace issues are unavoidable, Violet crafts strategies for resolution and negotiates with key stakeholders and employees to secure favorable solutions that minimize costly litigation. For both profit and non-profit organizations of all sizes, she provides valued insight on employee retention, turnover reduction, diversity and inclusion efforts and workplace culture revitalization.
Violet is committed to philanthropy and charitable support within the greater legal community. She is a life member of the Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago (BWLA). In honor of her mother, who returned to college to obtain her bachelor's degree, Violet contributes annually to the BWLA’s scholarship for black women in the Chicago metropolitan area who seek to return to school and break into the legal profession.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Distinguished Service Award 2007, 2009
- Leading Lawyer as rated by the nation’s top lawyers
- National Association of Women Business Owners’ Chicago Area Chapter Corporate Woman Achievement Award, 2002
- Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago, Inc., Member
- How Women Lead, Member
- How Women Invest, Limited Partner
- Most recent presentations include:
- Culture: The People Side of Risk Management, Caring Communities EPLI Webinar, February 2022
- How Non-Profits Can Lead in a Post Pandemic Environment, hrsimple, January 2022
- A Culture of Belonging – Creating an Inclusive Environment, Caring Communities Webinar, July 2020
- Employment Law Updates in 2020, South Suburban Cook HRA, February 2020
- Phishing and Hacking in the HR Pond, National Aging Services Risk Management (NASRM), October 2019
- Managing the Complexities of Workplace Dynamics, National Aging Services Risk Management (NASRM), October 2019
- Preventing Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace: What Employers Need to Know, Illinois Ambulatory Surgery Center Association’s Annual Meeting, September 2019
- Respectful Interactions in the Workplace: Reaching Common Ground, Pacific Retirement Services (PRS) Leadership Summit, February 2019
- The FMLA, ADA, and Worker’s Compensation Trifecta, Heart of Illinois HR Council, February 2019
- Annual Legal Updates Presentation, South Suburban Human Resources Association, February 2019
- Blending Generations in Law Firms: The New Melting Pot, FDCC, July 2015
- Bring Your Own Device: What Legal and Practical Risks Surround BYOD Programs? FDCC, February 2014
- Trouble in the Sandbox: Looming Headaches and Looming Liability for BYOD, FDCC, Winter 2014
- Avatars in the Workplace, FDCC, July 2013
- Most recent presentations include:
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Violet handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Provides ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of for profit and non-profit clients, including those in the construction, waste management, manufacturing, professional services, hospitality, including senior living communities, social services and other industries.
Conducts training sessions for executives, managers, supervisors and employees on a range of employment related topics including discrimination and harassment avoidance and administration of the Family/Medical Leave Act, disability laws, social media and effective documentation/discipline practices.
Conducts corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including allegations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Defends employers against charges alleging all forms of discrimination and harassment before federal and state courts, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights and other state and local administrative agencies.
Negotiates collective bargaining agreements.
Defends employers in arbitrations of various disputes in both the union and non-union settings. Defends employers against unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board.
News, Events, and Publications
- “How Women Inspire” Podcast Features Violet Clark Discussing Tips for Repositioning Yourself After Retirement11.22.2022
- Laner Muchin Partner Violet M. Clark Presented, “A Culture of Belonging - Creating an Inclusive Environment for Employees”07.29.2020
- Violet Clark & Priya Reddy Presented on Hot Legal Employment Updates at the South Suburban Cook HRA Meeting02.21.2020
- Violet Clark & David Moore Presented, “Phishing and Hacking in the HR Pond” and “Managing the Complexities of Workplace Dynamics” for National Aging Services Risk Management (NASRM)10.04.2019
- Violet M. Clark Presented at the Illinois Ambulatory Surgery Center Association’s 2019 Annual Meeting09.26.2019
- Violet M. Clark Presented “The FMLA, ADA and Worker’s Compensation Trifecta,” to the Heart of Illinois HR Council02.13.2019
- Violet M. Clark to Present on 2019 Legal Trends for the South Suburban Human Resources Association – February 14, 201902.01.2019
- Laner Muchin Attorney, Violet M. Clark, was Elected to the Board of Directors for the United States Tennis Association11.27.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented at the 2018 National Aging Services Risk Management Conference10.18.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented on the Americans with Disabilities Act for the Illinois Selected Morticians Association’s Annual Meeting06.12.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented “Practical Tips in Representing Clients Before Federal Agencies” at the 41st Annual DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar05.17.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented on the Americans with Disabilities Act at the National Funeral Directors & Morticians Association’s Annual Meeting04.24.2018
- Leading Lawyers Network, 01.19.2010
- Violet Clark, Jennifer Naber and William Wake , 06.22.2020
- Violet Clark, 03.03.2016
- Counseling and Transactional
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Brown University, Bachelor of Arts, 1979, Political Science
Cornell Law School, J.D. 1982
University of Chicago Law School, student at large 1981-1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- New York
- State of New York, Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Judicial Department