Violet joined the Firm in 1987 and has been a partner since 1994. She collaborates with CEOs and their management teams to design strategies to ensure their businesses achieve their goals regarding all aspects of human resources management and avoid labor and employment liability.
She has more than three decades of experience representing for profit and non-profit companies of all sizes and industries and working with and for government and regulatory bodies from local to federal.
Vi excels at helping her clients to identify and avoid potential problems. But when problems cannot be avoided, she designs strategies and uses her significant negotiations experience to secure favorable resolutions at the earliest possible stage and minimize costly litigation. And, when the problem cannot be resolved, she serves as a senior strategist on the litigation team.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Distinguished Service Award 2007, 2009
- Leading Lawyer as rated by the nation’s top lawyers
- National Association of Women Business Owners’ Chicago Area Chapter Corporate Woman Achievement Award, 2002
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”), Employment Section, Co-Chair
- Most recent presentations include:
- Blending Generations in Law Firms: The New Melting Pot, FDCC, July, 2015,
- Bring Your Own Device: What Legal and Practical Risks Surround BYOD Programs? FDCC, February, 2014
- Trouble in the Sandbox: Looming Headaches and Looming Liability for BYOD, FDCC, Winter, 2014
- Avatars in the Workplace, FDCC, July 2013
- Most recent presentations include:
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Violet handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Provides ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of for profit and non-profit clients, including those in the construction, waste management, manufacturing, professional services, hospitality, including senior living communities, social services and other industries.
Conducts training sessions for executives, managers, supervisors and employees on a range of employment related topics including discrimination and harassment avoidance and administration of the Family/Medical Leave Act, disability laws, social media and effective documentation/discipline practices.
Conducts corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including allegations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Defends employers against charges alleging all forms of discrimination and harassment before federal and state courts, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights and other state and local administrative agencies.
Negotiates collective bargaining agreements.
Defends employers in arbitrations of various disputes in both the union and non-union settings. Defends employers against unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board.
News & Published Articles
- Violet M. Clark Presented “The FMLA, ADA and Worker’s Compensation Trifecta,” to the Heart of Illinois HR Council02.13.2019
- Violet M. Clark to Present on 2019 Legal Trends for the South Suburban Human Resources Association – February 14, 201902.01.2019
- Laner Muchin Attorney, Violet M. Clark, was Elected to the Board of Directors for the United States Tennis Association11.27.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented at the 2018 National Aging Services Risk Management Conference10.18.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented on the Americans with Disabilities Act for the Illinois Selected Morticians Association’s Annual Meeting06.12.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented “Practical Tips in Representing Clients Before Federal Agencies” at the 41st Annual DRI Employment & Labor Law Seminar05.17.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Violet M. Clark Presented on the Americans with Disabilities Act at the National Funeral Directors & Morticians Association’s Annual Meeting04.24.2018
- Leading Lawyers Network, 01.19.2010
- Violet Clark, 03.03.2016
- Counseling and Transactional
- Labor Management Relations
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
Brown University, Bachelor of Arts, 1979, Political Science
Cornell Law School, J.D. 1982
University of Chicago Law School, student at large 1981-1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- New York
- State of New York, Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Judicial Department