Jolianne is an experienced employment attorney who focuses her practice on private and public sector employment litigation and employment counseling. Jolianne’s diverse background combining in-house experience, private practice and business ownership gives her unique insights to deliver innovative case management strategies to her clients.
She has extensive experience counseling clients on employee relations issues arising under the Illinois Human Rights Act and Title VII, as well as other employment-related statutes. She also has significant proficiency in litigating claims at the administrative, trial, and appellate levels, and has argued before the Illinois Supreme Court on a novel issue pertaining to disability discrimination/"disability harassment" under Illinois law. Jolianne’s dynamic perspective, which stems from her years of experience practicing as an in-house counsel in the technology and environmental industries, and as both a plaintiff’s and defense attorney, allows her to assess matters from multiple viewpoints, manage competing interests and balance the needs of different stakeholders to achieve the best possible outcome.
Jolianne is a member of the DuPage County Bar Association and serves as an editor on its Editorial Board. She is also a member of the DCBA Labor & Employment Committee and served as chair of the committee from 2020-2021.
Within the community, Jolianne is active in volunteer initiatives with Just the Beginning Foundation, a national non-profit organization founded by federal judges that provides children and young adults with exposure to the practice of law. She is also a member of the Chicago Bar Association Symphony Orchestra. As an avid musician, artist and individual business owner, Jolianne is passionate about the intersection of the business of the arts and law.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Super Lawyers – Rising Stars: 2019-Present
- Avvo Top Rated Lawyer
- DuPage County Bar Association
- DuPage County Bar Association Editorial Board, Member
- Chicago Bar Association Symphony Orchestra, Second Violin
- Author, “Changing the Way We Do Business: Wave of New Labor & Employment Laws Crashing Down Soon," DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Vol. 32, No. 5, Jan. 2020.
- Author, “Sexual Harassment in the Workplace: Pre-Litigation Strategies from a Plaintiff’s Perspective,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Vol. 30, No. 7, Mar. 2018.
- Author, “Court Affirms that “Disability Harassment” Constitutes Unlawful Discrimination: A Confirmation that Certain Truths are Self-Evident,” Illinois State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law, Vol. 54, No. 4, Mar. 2017.
- Author, “Court Affirms that “Disability Harassment” Constitutes Unlawful Discrimination: A Confirmation that Certain Truths are Self-Evident,” DuPage County Bar Association Brief, Vol. 29, No. 4, Dec. 2016.
News, Events, and Publications
- Laner Muchin Adds to Growing Firm Roster with Addition of Associates Jolianne S. Alexander and Amber N. Lukowicz04.16.2021
- Loyola University Chicago, J.D., 2013
- University of Illinois at Chicago, B.S., (Biological Sciences), 2009
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U. S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois