Jim is currently the Firm’s Managing Partner, Chair of the Litigation Department and member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Jim joined Laner Muchin in 1989 and has been a partner since 1992. In addition to Jim's administrative duties in managing the Firm, he regularly litigates employment matters in state and federal court, including employment contract disputes, restrictive covenant injunction matters, class-actions, as well as discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims.
Jim also regularly counsels clients regarding these types of matters and regularly participates in alternate dispute resolution proceedings, including mediations and arbitrations. Jim counsels both public and private sector employers. Prior to joining Laner Muchin, Jim served as a senior attorney in the City of Chicago Corporation Counsel's office specializing in employment defense and civil rights matters.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Illinois Leading Lawyer and Super Lawyer designation for several years
- Highest Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating for ethics and legal ability
- Past President of the Catholic Lawyers Guild of Chicago and Member of its Board of Governors
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Jim has handled on behalf of Firm's clients:
Defending employers in breach of contract cases.
Defending employers in class-action wage and hour matters under federal and state law, including prevailing at trial on a class claim for unpaid wages for off-duty cell phone usage.
Pursuing on behalf of employers, and also defending employers, on claims involving non-competition, non-solicitation and other restrictive covenant claims, including those involving injunctive relief.
Defense of employers and fiduciaries on ERISA claims, including the successful defense of a class action brought against a fiduciary defendant in a multi-million dollar federal court trial.
Regularly appearing in state and federal court on behalf of employers pertaining to discrimination and retaliation claims under the FMLA, the Americans With Disabilities Act, Title VII, state and local human rights laws, as well as Constitutional and civil rights claims.
Providing employment related advice to clients regarding the negotiation and preparation of employment contracts for employees and executives, including advice on restrictive covenants and their enforceability in states across the country.
Providing daily counseling to clients in the resolution of disputes, settlement negotiations, termination and discipline advice and compliance with state and federal laws.
News & Published Articles
- Counseling and Transactional
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
DePaul University College of Law, 1981
DePaul University College of Commerce 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern (Trial Bar) and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan