Heather joined Laner Muchin in 2006 as an associate and has been a partner of the Firm since 2009. Prior to joining Laner Muchin, Heather was an associate at a large, Chicago-based law firm where her practice focused on labor and employment counseling and litigation and general business litigation.
Heather now concentrates her practice on representing public and private sector employers before federal and state courts and administrative agencies in all types of employment litigation, including discrimination, harassment and retaliation litigation, wage and hour and wage payment claims, civil rights and constitutional claims, whistleblower claims, and employment contracts disputes involving trade secrets, non-competes and restrictive covenants.
Heather also provides counseling services to her clients on a day-to-day basis to help them develop policies and procedures to minimize risk, train employers on best practices to improve employee relations, and develop practical solutions to resolve complex employment disputes before they mushroom into litigation matters.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Panelist, "Navigating the Coronavirus: Best Practices for Employers," ChicagoSHRM Webinar, March 2020
- Author, "A New Year Brings New and Amended Laws in Illinois" ChicagoSHRM (December 2019)
- Author, “The Supreme Court Says Class Action Waivers Are Enforceable, But Are Arbitration Agreements Right For Your Organization?" ChicagoSHRM (June 2018)
- Top Forty Attorneys Under 40 in Illinois, 2016, Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- Current honoree on the Illinois Super Lawyers list and former honoree on the Rising Stars list in Employment Litigation
- Illinois Emerging Lawyers by Leading Lawyers
- Member, Illinois Bar Association and American Bar Association
- DePaul Law Review, Editor in Chief
- Speaker, Annual SHRM Conference (June 2018)
- Author, The Push for Equal Pay Through “No Salary History” Laws, ChicagoSHRM Legal Update (August 2017)
- Author, Is Your Company Prepared for the New Cook County and City of Chicago Sick Leave Ordinances?, ChicagoSHRM Legal Update (June 2017)
- Other writings published in the DePaul Law Review, the ABA’s Section of Litigation, Employment and Labor Relations Newsletter, the Illinois Bar Journal and the 35th and 36th Annual Institute on Employment Law Treatises
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Heather handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Defending employers and individually-named defendants in discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before federal and state courts and administrative agencies.
Defending public sector employers and individually-named defendants in constitutional and civil rights cases before federal courts.
Defending employers in wage and hour lawsuits involving collective and class claims in federal and state courts.
Defending employers and individually-named defendants in employment-related tort actions in federal and state courts.
Defending employers in whistleblower actions in federal and state courts.
Seeking injunctive relief in trade secret, non-compete and restrictive covenant matters, and negotiating business-oriented resolutions with adverse parties in such contract disputes.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad range of topics, including complaints of discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and other employment-related matters.
Training of executives, managers and employees on a range of employment-related topics, including discrimination, harassment and retaliation, leave laws, workplace accommodations, background checks, effective documentation, and best practices.
Providing employment-related advice on a variety of issues, including discipline, performance improvement, leaves of absence, workplace accommodations, and best practices.
News, Events, and Publications
- Heather Becker Discusses Key Developments in Labor and Employment Laws in Crain’s Chicago Business Labor and Employment Law Roundtable Discussion10.20.2022
- Partners Heather Becker, Antonio Caldarone and Jeffrey Fowler to Share Important Updates to Employment Laws at Laner Muchin's Annual Employment Law Conference on May 18, 202204.19.2022
- Laner Muchin Partners Rob Bernstein, Heather Becker and Antonio Caldarone to Address Case Law Updates and COVID-19 Issues at the 2021 IICLE Employment Law Institute Annual Conference04.22.2021
- Laner Muchin Partners Heather Becker and Antonio Caldarone to Discuss Mandating Vaccines and Return to Work Issues at ALA Chicago’s April Webinar04.20.2021
- Laner Muchin Partner Heather Becker to Discuss Vaccinations and Return to Work Issues Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic at IFMA’s March 2021 Virtual Program03.18.2021
- WEBINAR - The COVID-19 Vaccine: What Employers Need to Know to Manage the Workpace, February 11, 2021
- Heather Becker Quoted in XpertHR Blog: Coronavirus: Challenges of a Temporary Remote Workforce and Ensuring Business ContinuityXpertHR , 04.03.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner Heather Becker Recently Appeared on WBBM Noon Business Hour to Discuss, "Coronavirus and the Workplace: How Managers Navigate Flu Season"WBBM Noon Business Hour, 03.11.2020
- ChicagoSHRM Blog, 12.19.2019
- HR Dive, 10.11.2019
- The Supreme Court Says Class Action Waivers Are Enforceable, But Are Arbitration Agreements Right For Your Organization?ChicagoSHRM Blog, 06.25.2018
- Laner Muchin Attorney Heather Becker Participated on a Panel Discussing “Creating Safe Work Spaces” for the Chicago Media Standards Town Hall05.15.2018
- COVID-19 Update: Changes in Face Covering Guidance and Considerations for Employers on Implementing a Vaccination MandateHeather Becker, Amber Lukowicz and Alexandra McNicholas, 08.09.2021
- Heather Becker, 05.28.2020
- CDC Updates Guidance on Safety Practices for Critical Infrastructure Workers Who May Have Been Exposed to a Person with a Confirmed or Suspected Case of COVID-19Heather Becker and Pete Gillespie, 04.09.2020
- Andrew Goldberg, David Moore, Antonio Caldarone, Heather Becker & Chad DeGroot, 04.02.2020
- Heather Becker, Antonio Caldarone, Wesley Covert, Andrew Goldberg, William Wake, Darin Williams, 03.27.2020
- Counseling and Transactional
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
- DePaul University, College of Law, J.D., 2003, summa cum laude and Order of the Coif
- Michigan State University, B.A., 2000, High Honors
- Trial Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana