Debrai joined Laner Muchin in 2002 as an associate and has been a partner at the Firm since 2006. He regularly litigates substantial-exposure employment litigation matters, including complex employment contract disputes, wage and hour class actions as well as discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims. Throughout his career, Debrai has obtained dismissals of numerous lawsuits filed against Laner Muchin clients, including many claims with potential multi-million dollar exposure.
Debrai also regularly conducts employment-related corporate investigations in a variety of settings. He also provides, on a nearly daily basis, compliance-related and strategic advice on a broad range of employment issues to clients in a broad range of industries.
Debrai received recognition in 2010 as one of the top forty lawyers under 40 in Illinois by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. This prestigious industry recognition is particularly meaningful to Debrai because his candidacy for this award was publicly supported by many Laner Muchin clients, several of whom praised his legal acumen, practicality, and superior client service skills.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Selected as one of the "Top 40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 To Watch" by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company in 2010
- Selected as a Super Lawyer by Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine from 2012-present
- Selected as a Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyer Magazine from 2009-2011
- Dean's List, University of Illinois, College of Law
- Editor, Elder Law Review, University of Illinois
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-Author, Improper and Abusive Written Discovery Requests In Single and Multiple-Plaintiff Employment Cases, ABA Journal of Labor and Employment Law, Volume 27, Spring 2012
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Debrai handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Defending employers in breach of executive employment contract cases.
Defending employers in class action wage and hour matters as well as representing employers undergoing regulatory audits regarding their wage and hour practices.
Defending employers in employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation cases before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Conducting corporate investigations on behalf of employers on a broad-range of topics, including investigations of alleged harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other matters.
Providing employment-related advice to clients involved in acquiring other entities, including negotiating and preparing employment contracts for incoming executives, advising on non-compete issues, reviewing purchase documents to ensure employment-related provisions adequately protect clients’ investment and business goals, ensuring that due diligence on employment-related issues is sufficiently thorough, among other related services.
Providing ongoing employment counseling advice to a variety of clients, including those in the private equity, investment management, family office, educational, manufacturing and distribution, sports and other industries. Such advice includes, but is not limited to, advising clients on terminations/workouts of high-level executive departures, prevention of unfair competition, and regulatory compliance.
Providing training to executives and managers on a range of employment-related topics including leave and disability, discrimination and harassment, social media, hiring, background checks, effective documentation/discipline practices and a variety of other employment-related topics.
News, Events, and Publications
- Laner Muchin Partner Debrai Haile Presented "Talent Acquisition IG: The Talent Acquisition Pivot No One Saw Coming” Hosted by the Human Resources Management Association of Chicago05.15.2020
- Laner Muchin Partner Debrai Haile Provides A Management Perspective For An ABA Seminar On “The Pros and Cons Of Staffing Agencies”08.06.2018
- Debrai Haile Serves As Panelist On Pregnancy Accommodation And Maternity/Paternity Leaves Of Absence05.13.2016
- Andrew Goldberg and Debrai Haile, 07.17.2020
- Debrai Haile, 11.18.2015
- Browning-Ferris Decision Expands Definition Of "Joint Employer" For Collective Bargaining Purposes, Full Impact Of Decision Remains To Be SeenDebrai Haile, 10.05.2015
- Counseling and Transactional
- EEO and Other Corporate Investigations
- Employee Handbooks, Personnel Policies and Procedures
- Employment Counseling
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete, Executive Employment and Other Agreements
- OSHA, EEO and Other Training Programs
- Plant Closings, Mass Layoffs, WARN Act
- Wage and Hour Compliance and Audits
- Private and Public Sector Employment Litigation
The American University, B.A., International Relations, 1994
University of Illinois, College of Law, J.D., 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit