Christina Wernick is one of the firm’s go-to resources for companies in need of representation during the collective bargaining and the union organization processes.
Christina’s niche is centered on issues arising from construction union agreements. By drawing on her deep industry network and top-notch negotiation skills, she achieves favorable outcomes for clients navigating issues related to their labor union signatory status, such as resolving grievances, preparing for Joint Grievance Committee/Joint Arbitration Board proceedings and negotiating inter-union jurisdictional disputes.
Christina serves her clients by advising them on day-to-day labor and employment issues, leading employment-related trainings and handling withdrawal liability arbitration and appeals for entities wishing to arrange fair union exit costs. She advocates for her clients in federal and state courts, as well as before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). In 2023, Crain’s Chicago Business named Christina on their Notable Leaders in Employment and Labor Law list.
Christina also handles labor and employment due diligence for asset and stock purchase agreements, advising clients on collective bargaining challenges and solutions for transactions between organizations with different union statuses. She helps clients achieve agreeable staffing and business practice arrangements during the acquisition/merger process, helps clients mitigate and manage withdrawal liability, and engages in effects bargaining.
Christina advises a range of clients outside of the construction industry, including hotels and restaurants, various types of not-for-profit firms, as well as public entities and municipalities subject to differing labor laws.
Prior to joining Laner Muchin, Christina spent her career representing a prominent Chicagoland construction union and its multi-employer fringe benefit funds.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Notable Leader in Employment and Labor Law 2023, Crain’s Chicago Business
- Associated General Contractors – Labor and Employment Law Council Member
- Chicagoland Associated General Contractors Member
- Federation of Women Contractors Member
- Speaker, “Employer Preparation—Remaining Ready Before, During & After Union Trust Fund Audits,” and “Fund Trustee Realities & Responsibilities,” Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors Association, PHCC Connect 2023 (October 25, 2023 – Cleveland, OH)
- Speaker, “The Bargaining Table – the Union’s Perspective,” Mechanical Contractors Association of America (MCAA) 2023 Collective Bargaining Seminar (September 26, 2023 – Las Vegas, NV)
- Speaker, “What Advocates Look for when Selecting their Arbitrator,” American Arbitration Association Virtual Seminar (June 26, 2023)
- Speaker, Labor Employment Relations Association (LERA), Panel Discussion on the McClaren Macomb Decision (April 26, 2023 – Chicago, IL)
- Speaker, “Understanding the Union’s Goals and Priorities in Contract Negotiations,” UAC Collective Bargaining Seminar (Encore Performance – April 5, 2023 – Oak Brook, IL)
- Speaker, “Understanding the Union’s Goals and Priorities in Contract Negotiations,” Union Affiliated Contractors (UAC) Collective Bargaining Seminar (Bloomington, IL – January 30, 2023)
- Speaker, “Pro Tips on Navigating Union Agreements,” Federation of Women Contractors, Sips Tea with FWC Virtual Seminar (April 22, 2022)
- Speaker, “Solutions For Common Union Problems,” NPL Partner Alliance (April 14, 2022)
News, Events, and Publications
DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2005
The Ohio State University, B.A., cum laude, 2002
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin