Carl began his career in Washington, D.C., in the United States Department of Justice, Honor Law Program, working in the Office of the General Counsel of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Upon his return to Chicago, he continued to serve with the Department of Justice and subsequently transferred to the staff of the National Labor Relations Board where he served as a trial attorney for four years. In 1979, Carl joined the predecessor firm to Laner Muchin, Ltd. where he became a partner in 1982 and a senior named partner in 1990. Carl has served on the Faculty of the Chicago-Kent College of law Public Sector Labor Relations Conference, Loyola University EEOC Advisory Committee, and was a Member of the Institute for Law in the Workplace.
Carl was born in Wurzburg, Germany in 1949. He is married and has two children. Carl has authored Law Review articles and numerous other labor law articles including a chapter for the publications of the Illinois Institute For Continuing Legal Education. Carl has also lectured throughout the United States on labor matters, and was a past Chairman of the Buffalo Grove Chapter of the American Cancer Society.
HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Recognized by Illinois Super Lawyers, multiple years
- Member of the Chicago Bar Association, where he has served on the Labor Law Committee, and serves on the Local Government Committee and Alternative Disputes Resolution Committee
- He was also Co-Chairman of the Employment Committee of the Northwest Suburban Bar Association of Illinois
Below are representative samples of the types of matters Carl handles on behalf of Laner Muchin clients:
Carl has been labor counsel to publicly and privately owned large and small companies and corporations, including major hotel chains, Fortune 500 companies, and numerous Employer Associations.
Carl has served as Special Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago, Special States Attorney for Kane County, and labor advisor to the State of Illinois, Kane County, DeKalb County, Homewood, Palos Hills, Lake Bluff, Buffalo Grove, Mt. Prospect, McHenry County Conservation District, and many others.
Carl has successfully negotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements for bargaining units of all sizes and handled grievances/arbitrations for his unionized clients.
Carl has also argued successfully before the Illinois Supreme Court.
News, Events, and Publications
- 27th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America & Ones to Watch, 08.20.2020
- Best Lawyers in America, 08.15.2019
- Counseling and Transactional
- Labor Management Relations
DePaul University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1974
Roosevelt University, B.S., with honors, Business Administration Major: Finance
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Trial Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois